Monday, July 4, 2011

Teacher stuff!

Supplies: googly eyes; scraps of red & green cardstock for apples;
"best teacher" and apple stamps from Imaginisce;
'ever' and  teacher's names spelled with Studio G alphabets;
swirls from Autumn Leaves;
arrow drawn freehand with Sakura black Glaze pen;
ink: Memento tuxedo black, and Distress inks:
Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed,
Peeled Paint, Broken China, Dusty Concord;
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic for the apple

Supplies: Same inks as above; Swirls from Autumn Leaves;
white gel pen; thank you stamps from Hero Arts, Basic Grey, and Studio G;
black rhinestones
I didn't photograph most of the personalized thank you cards I made for the boys' teachers, simply because I was running out of time! I picked my favourites, which happened to be the ones for their classroom teachers. Connor wanted the apple & best teacher for Mrs. Mackay, and when he saw the finished card he said "Whoa! How did you DO that???" Ah, mom magic. It's nice that I still have it once in a while. The shiny apple was his favourite part. I drew the arrow freehand with a fineline marker & then went over it with the Glaze pen, and traced "Teacher" as well. The backgrounds were all made by sponging the distress inks in rainbow order (again, Connor insisted) and then flicking with water off a toothbrush (a la Jill Foster, but not as awesome as hers. Must practice more!)

I had specific ideas in mind for the card sets I made - I went for the tried-and-true idea of referencing the teachers' subjects. For the French teacher:


Supplies: same inks as cards above;
sentiment stamps from Basic Grey;
black Sharpie for edges
For the music teacher:
Supplies: same inks as cards above;
Versamark & clear EP for musical notes on the rainbow;
single music note from Inkadinkado;
sentiment stamp from Studio G; black Sharpie;
no manufacturer markings on the music notes - it's an oldie
And I'll save the others for later in the week - it made sense to put all the ones with the rainbow together. Funny, but as much as I love rainbows I'm pretty rainbow-ed out ;)

Fireworks were cancelled on Canada Day - it was gorgeous all day, until about 8.30 pm when the heavens opened...and then by Saturday morning it was gorgeous again. Boo, hiss. They'll be rescheduled, though. And  Transformers 3 was actually better than I expected - I waited rather uncomfortably with a bladder full of a large Coke Zero rather than miss the battle scenes. {I know! What?} I did keep thinking of Shia LaBeouf as Pube-Stache McGee, though. lol!

First day of day camp today - hurray! - except it's supposed to rain & thundershower this afternoon - boo! - and we're riding bikes. Yikes. If you haven't seen it before, check out Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half post about bikes. I haven't fallen off my bike yet this year, but it's early days, and I haven't ridden in the rain yet. The best falls happen in the rain.

xoxo,
Jessi


creepy bike
This is my bike, as drawn by Allie Brosh. It's like she knows me. And my bike.

5 comments:

Sandy Ang said...

Love the colour effects on your cards. Hope you had a good Canada day weekend

Theresa said...

Very cute cards...the teachers will totally appreciate them.

Emily Keaton said...

Awesome cards for the teachers. Your rainbow stripes look fantastic!! (But I can understand being rainbowed-out now, though.) Sorry your fireworks got rained out. We'll see about ours tonight. It got a lot hotter today than expected and we could get some pop-up thunderstorms. Gotta keep an eye on weather radar for the next few hours!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous set of cards! LOVE the rainbow effect, everywhere I look at the moment it's rainbows, better than rain though. Hope you get to see those fireworks soon, happy riding!

Meg said...

Oooh, love all those rainbows...especially clever using the strips on the notecard sets. I think I need some more distress inks!