Tuesday, June 7, 2011

#149 - All sorts of good stuff :)

I finished another baby blanket - this one took about 8 days, though those days included 2 trips to the doctor's office and 2 to the lab...and thus plenty of waiting room time. In the next couple of weeks, since I have soooo much time on my hands, I've got to read a little more in the camera manual to see if I can figure out how to get clear close-ups. Notice the awesome artwork on the wall in the background - Connor loves inventing new Transformers. The house is nearly wallpapered with his artwork. Probably my favourite aspect of these drawings is that they are colour-coded, so that you can envision how each robot transforms into the vehicle.



 On the baby theme, here's a card I made that I absolutely fell in love with while I was making it. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I just feel super-excited about how my idea made it to the paper.
Supplies: Old, old Making Memories paper scraps;
stamp from Studio G;
Palette Noir ink; embroidery floss;
Tim Holtz design ruler; standard oval Nesties

a less than stellar attempt to show the stitching on the striped paper
So, after digging through my "miscellaneous" paper drawer and basically taking out every single paper I liked (seriously, there were about 6 or 7 PILES when I was done...which I then put back) I settled on this pretty pink and green paisley that I've been hoarding. I wanted to add some dimension to the striped paper, so I used the Tim Holtz design ruler to pierce holes along some of the stripes, and stitched them with 2 strands of lime floss. Once I did that I got the idea to stitch along the edges of the panel, so I adhered it, then used the design ruler to pierce two rows of holes above & below it. I cross-stitched with 2 strands of pink floss. The stamped image I paper-pieced with the paisley pattern, popping up her little belly because, well, it just needed to be popped up!

Time for more coffee - 5 a.m. came far too early today. Heck, it looks like 6 is here too early as well. {yawn} - hah! just typing that got the yawn going again!

xoxo,
Jessi

5 comments:

Ashley Newell said...

Super cute blanket and adorable card! I love the popped belly!

Emily Keaton said...

That baby blanket is just beautiful. I love yellow and white for babies!! And I ADORE that pregnancy card. It looks amazing!! Great colors, awesome papers, adorable paper-piecing on the dress (way to pop up the belly). You have every right to be proud!

Meg said...

Fabulous blanket (and transformers are work)! Isn't it great when everything comes together just right when you're making a card? I love the paper that you used and the lime thread accents--genius! Definitely going into my "to CASE" file.

(ps--"painting a sponge" made me laugh out loud)

JJ Bolton said...

Man, you're like a Craft Master! That blanket is awesome! My sister has tried many, many times to teach me and I'm crochet and knitting-impaired.

And the pop-up belly is genius! I have a shower card to make and I'm stealing, ahem, borrowing that idea.

P.S. Keeping you in my thoughts as you work your way through all your appointments:) JJ

walchowDesign said...

Finally I managed to comment on your blog as I was rejected many times with the blog problems.

Love the crocheted blanket and the card is so sweet!