Monday, June 24, 2013

Let's Get Trendy Now 3 - Stitching!

I'm slowly working my way through the 5 challenges for Let's Get Trendy Now 3 - including, for the first time ever, going to buy stuff BECAUSE of a challenge. I had really opted out of neon altogether, and well, look at that. I've been converted! Now to go play with it. All these challenges end when June does!

So today I've got a card with some stitching on it. I hand-stitch, and I really enjoy it. On cards only (no fabric stitching...there be dragons). One of my favourite ways to add stitching is to sew buttons in a frame, so I did that - and a little something extra:

Supplies: Stickers from Penny Black; papers from Bo Bunny; Mod Podge Dimensional Magic; Tim Holtz design ruler; piercing tool; needle & embroidery thread; buttons from stash


Hard to capture the shine, but the balloon is covered in a THICK layer of Dimensional Magic....there may or may not have been bad words said about how much poured out.

I used my handy dandy Tim Holtz design ruler to evenly pierce holes underneath one of the 'happy birthday's, and then stitched with bright yellow embroidery thread. Piercing the paper before you stitch is a huge factor in your success. Same thing with the buttons - I fiddle until I have the placement the way I want, then pierce for 2 or 3 buttons at a time. Without an 'anchor' of a sewn button, it is way too easy to pierce in the wrong places...and there may or may not have been bad words the day I figured THAT out. 

The link for the Stitching challenge at Let's Get Trendy Now 3 is here, and stay tuned for at least 2 more projects from me. Once I make them *koff*

xoxo,
Jessi

13 comments:

jimlynn said...

SO CUTE! Love all those little buttons AND your stitching! Stitching those little guys on is the only way to go - glues just do not work! Cute sticker and love the entire design!
Lynn

Stacy said...

Oh this card is adorable! How cool that you stitched your own button frame - it looks awesome! It is a perfect birthday card!

Lindsey said...

Terrific card, Jessi! Just the right amount of neon, and definitely the right amount of balloon shine!

yyam said...

Goodness. This is adorable! Love how bright and happy this is. :)

Thanks for playing with us at Let's Get Trendy Now!3.

Greta said...

Thanks for the idea of the button wreath--it's so fun & perfect for the darling sticker! I haven't joined the neon trend yet, but I do love this card!

Dawn said...

This is so cute! I couldn't help but imagine what would happen if I tried to gracefully balance on a balloon :) I love the fun colours, the cute image and your button frame.

Hugs, Dawn

lostinpaper said...

Shazam! This is wonderful Jessi!

~amy~ said...

Your cards are always chock full of goodness and details! Thanks for joining us at Let's Get Trendy Now! 3

Chris Dring said...

Love this card Jessi! (Regardless of said or unsaid bad words!) What an adorable image and the bright colors matched with the buttons are fabulous!

Donna said...

Really? A frame made of buttons AND stitching?? WOW...you know it's coming...wait for it...AWESOME POSSUM!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeee this! LOVING all the buttons! Thanks for playing along with Let's Get Trendy 3!!!!

~Tammy~ said...

You know I am all over the button frame! It is incredible! Love the colors too!

Lisa Arana said...

Heehee, what a happy card!