Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Shopping our Stash #104 - No Designer Papers?

**For my Tuesday Morning Sketches post, please scroll down or click here. Thanks!!**

So, this week at Shopping our Stash  we want you to create a card without using any patterned paper. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch. 

"Patterned paper" includes pre-printed patterned papers, digi patterned papers, book pages, music sheets ... pretty much anything you can slap on a card. We would like you to examine your stash and use other stuff for your card backgrounds and elements. Some ideas are: stamp your own pattern, use an embossing folder, score a pattern, die-cut a pattern, use an inky technique ... you get the idea, right? You could also leave it plain! Just make sure to tell us what you did.

My first card was very plain, and I realized  that it would be more of a challenge for me to create my own background - so I went back to the drawing board, and I really like what happened!

Supplies: background stamp builder by Annabelle Stamps; Spellbinders butterfly die; Doodlebug sentiment sticker; Picked Raspberry distress ink; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; black Sharpie; black seed beeds & embroidery floss


I don't seem to play around with stamps like this much - layering & lining up are like, hard, dude. I love how this turned out, and I'm glad I gave myself a push! 

The butterfly's body is really simple to do - pierce a line of holes where you want the beads to go, and sew through the paper every 2 beads or so. I leave the tail ends on the 'right' side of the paper & then trim them down for antennae afterwards. 

Here's my first card - see, perfectly fine, but not very challenging:

Supplies: Inkadinkado Lily stamp; Annabelle Stamps sentiment; Memento Gray Flannel ink; Glimmer Glam shimmer paints from Tattered Angels; Timeless Twine; Bazzill card stock


Come & play along with this challenge until next Monday, June 10th - hop on by & leave the rest of my teamies some love!


xoxo,
Jessi

12 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

I love them both! I keep forgetting all the background and builder-type stamps I have.

Annette Allen said...

wow Jessi these are gorgeous..

lauren bergold said...

dude! lining up and layering ARE hard!!! heck, i find it hard to just stamp (on white??!?!?!) and not leave big smudgey bits everywhere! so BOTH of these gorgeous cards are a triumph on many levels!! ♥♥♥

Jocelyn Olson said...

Both cards are gorgeous. I agree, stamping that background was crazy hard. You rocked it! I love the gracefulness of the flowers in the second card. The shimmer paints are pretty!

Dana said...

Both cards are awesome, at first i thought you booboo'ed and used pattern paper, cuz it looked like pattern paper to me! Then i got reading! Awesome stamping, dosen;t look like stamping!! lol

jimlynn said...

I think both are great. Love the way you created the pattern on that first card. So much patience!
Lynn

Dawn said...

Both cards are beautiful Jessi. I love the background you created on the first... or second one, depending on how we are defining that :)

Hugs, Dawn

Lindsey said...

I think both cards are wow-worthy. I can't believe you MADE the background paper of the first! And the second card is so classy.

lostinpaper said...

Oh my Jessi, your ABS background is incredible.... now you've got me thinking lol!

Debbie said...

These are both wonderful!! I really like your stamped BG but the other is just as great! Large stamps intimidate me!

Unknown said...

beautiful cards Jess! I love the square background bits...perfect contrast for the pretty butterfly curves!

Your floral cards are faves of mine...the twine details in opposite corners really draw the eye in. Another beaut!

~Tammy~ said...

No patterned paper???? Gasp!

These are beautiful! Sigh!