Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Shopping our Stash #216 - Splish, Splash!


...I was takin' a bath... (you're welcome, you know you were thinking it!) 

This week at Shopping our Stash we want you to play with wet media -  watercolor, acrylic paint, distress inks - I'm already addicted to watercolouring with my distress inks. I wanted to try something a little different but at first it wasn't working, so I made a 'normal' watercoloured card. FINALLY I got my mojo in gear and managed my original idea. I used Distress Stains (in five colours lol) and liberally applied them over a stencil, moving the stencil around. 

Since the stains are very watery, they bled underneath the stencil - which was the look I was going for - and I ended up with this!


Supplies: chipboard butterfly mermaid from (I think) Prima; doily; sentiment from Reverse Confetti; Chipped Sapphire distress ink; Distress Stains in Tea Dye, Chipped Sapphire, Tumbled Glass, Picket Fence, Antique Linen; Tim Holtz Bubbles stencil

And since I had this one all uploaded and everything I'll share it here:



Supplies: Flourishes daisies stamp; Reverse Confetti sentiment; Palette Noir ink; clear detail EP; distress inks for watercolouring, MME enamel dots; scrap of vellum

I didn't want the edges 'too' distressed, so I scraped them with my fingernail and then curled up two edges. 

C'mon and get wet with us:


xoxo,
Jessi

12 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

I like both of them, and you used a piece of chipboard - yay!

Dotty Jo said...

Two great cards! Jo x

Andrea W said...

Both cards are wonderful!

Chris Dring said...

I LOVE the background you created on that gorgeous butterfly card! Love it I tell ya! And that second card is oh so sunny and bright. These cards make me happy!

lauren bergold said...

oh i love both of these!!! the top one is loose & inky & magical & fab; the bottom one is just utterly gorgeous & exactly the right amount of distressing. plus... VELLUM sentiment!!! ♥

ps: coincidentally i just got a bottle of distress stain on sat, and i'm IN LOVE with it... possibly the best thing ever for stencils; admittedly it's looser than DI's & does bleed thru a bit, but as you've noted & proved that can be v cool. plus soooooooo easy to apply. oh & since it is wetter, after you pull the stencil up, you can almost use it as a stamp on another piece of paper which is kind of awesome. but then, clearly you are already quite the expert in this realm!!! :)

Barbara Godden said...

I almost made that same comment on my blog but then remembered I already said it once. lol. Great cards, I don't have any stains but then again only two stencils never been used. love the look with the stencil but the yellow card is beautiful too.

Lindsey said...

Both of these are beautiful! Although I'm finding the butterfly mermaid almost creepy... which is all me, nothing to do with you or the card! :D

Debbie said...

These are both beautiful!! I love the watercolour background of both!!

Donna said...

Sheeesh....I am not sure which of those I love more!!!
Fab work sistah!

Greta said...

Lovely cards, Jessi! You always remind me I should use my Flourishes stamps. Love the Distress Stains background--may have to try that!

Dana said...

Awesome cards!! LOVE the stencil background!!

Becca Cruger said...

Scraped with a fingernail? Geniusness! I stared at both of these creations for a good long time trying to decide which one I liked better and, turns out, I just can't. They're both AWESOME!