Sunday, March 31, 2013

CASology 37 - HOPE

This is going to be a hard post to write - even though it's got a funny (risque!) card. The current prompt at CASology is:


I'm not certain that my card really qualifies as CAS, but it was a card I'd been planning to make and sort of procrastinating on because of why I was making it. 

My oldest friend was diagnosed with breast cancer several weeks ago. She & I have known each other for over 20 years - and both of us went on to have kids with autism. We've always been the kind of friends that can pick up exactly where we left off, even when we haven't chatted lately. Being so far away while she goes through this is extremely hard. On April 9th, she's having a bilateral mastectomy & reconstruction. The prognosis is good - but this is still frightening. Cancer always is. We've joked as well as cried, and so I didn't want to send her a sappy card. 


Supplies: papers from MME; heart stickers from heidi grace; ribbon from stash; Milled Lavender distress ink; Versamark; clear EP; 'hope' stamp from Paper Smooches; letter stamps from PSX


I used Versamark & then distress ink so that I could emboss with clear EP.

Here's the inside:

I'll be sending her lots of cards during her convalescence - I can't do much from here, but I can at least fill her mailbox with happy mail.
xoxo,
Jessi




16 comments:

OH Babs said...

Your story is touching. I too know the sadness cancer brings. Sadly way too many of my friends have struggled with breast cancer. As a friend the gift you can give your friends is love shared through your card making. Handmade cards are so appreciated and thank you is all we need to hear.

Judy1223 said...

I didn't see the funny part on the lovely front if your card, but I sure smiled when I read the inside...I'm sure your long-time friend will appreciate it. How lucky she is to have a friend like you to help her though a challenging time...no matter how far apart you may be. Thanks for sharing your lovely card full of hope with us at CASology this week!

~amy~ said...

She's going to love it...what a great card.

Ardyth said...

So beautiful - love the shimmer and the dimension. I'm sure your friend will love it and I think it's hit exactly the right note. Beautiful but not frivolous. As you say, cancer is no joke, but it helps if you can tell a few along the way, to keep your spirits up for the fight. Thanks so much for playing along with us at CASology this week!

lostinpaper said...

This is absolutely perfect Jessi and will bring a big smile to her face at such a tough time. Love love love the sentiment!

Unknown said...

This was very touching to read. Thank you for sharing! Sounds like you and your friend are very blessed to have each other :)

Chris Dring said...

This is such a fabulous card Jessi! Your friend is blessed to have you in her life. I know a hand full of ladies going through the same thing as your friend and still being able to laugh and have a sense of humor is such a powerful healing agent! You go girl and best wishes to your friend!

Meghan said...

Not a fun reason to make a card but I am sure that your friend will appreciate a card or two in her mailbox. This is a beauty! So glad you joined in on the fun at CASology this week!

Theresa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Your card is totally awesome. It will brighten her day.

Glenda J said...

So sorry about your friend. I know way too many people who've had cancer recently. Wishing your friend all the best and big hugs to you.

Your card is absolutely beautiful. Great work.

Rosemary said...

i'm so sorry that your friend has to deal with breast cancer, but this card will surely make her laugh (it made me laugh!!)!! a wonderful take on the cue word... so glad that you shared it with us at CASology!!

Jen W. said...

Wow, so scary for your friend but glad that the prognosis is good for her. And if laughter is the best medicine then she'll be just fine with you helping her along! Love the ruffle on the outside and the brilliant sentiment on the inside!

Lindsey said...

Such an unexpected inside when you first look at the outside! Hope all goes well for your friend.

walchowDesign said...

You are such a great friend, Jessi! Your friend is so blessed to have you as a friend and I am sure she will be happy to receive cards from you.

this is a lovely sweet card and I love the ruffle with the beautiful sentiment on it!

Unknown said...

Jess, your friend's spirits will be lifted up with this card. So elegant, pretty...and so very you :D Hoping everything goes well for her surgery and recovery.

Angela said...

Great card Jessi...your friend is sure to love it...and your support.... You sound like a great friend...what a special bond you share.