Thursday, March 28, 2013

Design Team Throwdown #2 - Faux Finishes!!!

Oh man, faux finishes? That's pretty much what my first thought was. After looking through the tutorial list at Splitcoaststampers, I remembered that Therese from Lostinpaper had done a video last year about faux metal. (Click here to see her video on YouTube!) As soon as I knew what technique I wanted to try, my card fell together.

Check out what Spike & Chris created too at the Drunken Stampers post - and don't forget to vote at the Smeared & Smudged Forum! They changed the rules for voting this time so you'll vote for the team you think did the best job (Drunken Stampers, naturally!)

Blah, blah, BLAH, not running on a full cup of coffee yet - here's my card:


Supplies: Moonstone EP from Stampendous; silhouette stamp from PTI; Versamark; medallion stamp from Stampendous; rhinestone strips from dollarama; vellum; classic small oval Nesties


I die-cut the size oval I wanted to give the silhouette a not-too-big frame, and then coated it in Versamark & EP. I lost count of how many layers I did - 7 or 8, anyhow - and then pushed the stamp into the still-hot last layer. 

The medallion stamp was embossed onto vellum, and then I attached the vellum to the card base underneath the cameo, and with a thin strip of Scor-Tape at the top & bottom of the card - covered by the rhinestone strips. The cameo is adhered with a layer of foam tape - it's not a heavy piece, but it wants to bend, so the foam tape was the sturdiest choice. And about the vellum - freaking hell, didn't I decide to try & reposition it? And didn't it rip? DANGNABBIT. Lucky score of the day, though, because the rip is right underneath the cameo. *whew*


I love it. I love it soooo much that I don't even really mind the large amounts of embossing powder still coating  the far reaches of my desk...the dog has managed to shake most of it off by now ;)

Don't forget to hop on over to the Smeared & Smudged Forum to vote!
xoxo,
Jessi 

21 comments:

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

This is stunning, Jessi! LOVE IT! So elegant - right my style :-)
You did a great job on this card!
... and you can never go wrong with a Cameo - just like butterflies - I love them always!
Hugs,
Uli

Chris Dring said...

As Wayne and Garth would say, "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" Jessi, your card is stunning, but that cameo! OMG! That cameo is phenomenal! WTG girl!

blackdragon said...

Fantastic faux cameo... good luck in the throwdown.
BDx

DonnaMundinger said...

Jessie, this is just gorgeous! Love your faux technique. xxD

Annette Allen said...

dang this is so cool.. I LOVE IT...

Donna said...

Jessi this is just gorgeous!! I love love love love it! The silver and white together are so elegant, the bling...you totally threw it down sistah!

Marie said...

Stunning and oh soooo elegant, Jessi. I will have to add this technique to my to do list!

mark gould said...

very cool and a great effect you have created, I would love to see a heat embossed dog though ;)

Emily Keaton said...

Jessi, this is so stunning! I am bowled over by how awesome that cameo books. Wow, girl, you nailed this!

Lindsey said...

Strangely, even with my love of heat embossing, I've never tried this. Now, seeing this AMAZING result, I think I have to! Have to admit, I didn't think vellum even _could_ rip. ;)

Lindsey said...

Strangely, even with my love of heat embossing, I've never tried this. Now, seeing this AMAZING result, I think I have to! Have to admit, I didn't think vellum even _could_ rip. ;)

Greta said...

Wow, wow, wow! This is just fabulous!

Darnell said...

Flipping genius, that's what this is, Jessi!! I'm completely gobsmacked!

And do you really use dangnabbit, too, or did you pick that up from me? We could be cousins, you know. Did we already say that? Where's my vodka ...

ike said...

Gorgeous Cameo. I would have been scared to death to put my stamp in that stuff in case it got stuck !!!. This is a fabulous creation :-D
IKE x

~Tammy~ said...

Holy freaking smokes! I can't pick my jaw up! Girl I can't even begin to describe how flippin' cool this is and you are so patient! Oh my! So so worth the effort! My new favorite card of yours and it's not a button or crochet mat....What!!!!...You knocked my socks off.

walchowDesign said...

Stunning piece of work, Jessi! Love the silver look of it and your work is beautifully executed!

~Lady B~ said...

Your faux cameo is absolutely stunning! Fantastic work! Good luck in the throwdown :)

I Don't Do Straight said...

Your Faux Cameo is beautiful, I may have to CAS this in the future LOL :)
Good Luck the in the Throwdown :)

Andrea C said...

Great faux cameo, very fetching x

Leslie Hanna said...

omg, you crack me up! i need to remember faux metal. *think think think*

Jen W. said...

This. Is. STUNNING! That oval medallion is amazing! Totally looks like a store bought embellishment - so perfect! The frame is gorgeous and the gems balance it all so well. Serious awesomeness!

Thinking Abby would look really good in silver!