Saturday, March 2, 2013

Drunken Stampers #117 - The Sound of Music

The hilllllllls are alive....with the sound of muuuuuuuuuuuusic:

So, remember, this term at Drunken Stampers all the challenges are inspired by movies. You can create something inspired by the additional prompt (in this case, Music or Instruments) or by the movie itself. There is so much inspiration in The Sound of Music that I actually had trouble getting started. So many of the songs have wonderful imagery, the movie itself has so many moments to inspire...some of my early ideas:

-a card that says 'adieu'
-hills, stamped with musical background...and with googly eyes. Because they're alive. (wocka wocka!)
-whiskers on kittens (aw!)

Then I decided to google what Edelweiss looks like...

Hmmm....I could maybe quill that? It looks....fluffy. 


So, I managed to include several points of inspiration from the film - the edelweiss, the musical background, and then a few of my favourite things - quilling and Fun Flock. I am pretty sure this is the first time they've gone on the same card.


Supplies: Yellow Fun Flock (Stampendous); vellum from HOTP (that is seriously old stash, yo); Inkadinkado music note background stamp; Bundled Sage distress ink

In order to be sneaky-like with the vellum I stuck double-sided tape underneath where the centre of the flower would lie, and then was stingy with the glue putting the flower on. To fuzzy up the flower centre I first quilled the 7 tight circles, glued them together, and then when they were dry used a glue pen & the fun flock. After THAT was dry & I knocked off as much excess flock as I could, then I glued it on to the finished flower. 

So, I *know* you've got a crafty something up your sleeve for this challenge....our linky will be open until next Friday night, March 8th. Seriously, you need to see what the Midnight Margaritas made: awesomesauce.


xoxo,
Jessi

13 comments:

Unknown said...

So pretty! You have the patience of a Saint to do such detail work! I am ashamed to admit that I thought edelweiss was a character in the movie. I wondered why you were quilling her? lol

Chris Dring said...

I am in love with this card Jessi! That quilled flower is just divine! Love love love!!!

Donna said...

WOW...I am with Barb...you must have a whole lotta patience to quill that flower...but wow! Totally worth the effort! As much as I would love to see a hill with googly eyes {{I still think you should make that!!}}...this card is absolutely beautiful and a perfect take on the challenge!

jimlynn said...

Oh, so creative!! AND GORGEOUS! Love this card and your quilling is sensational!
Lynn

Vicki Romaine said...

Ak beautiful card. I love the quilling.

Lindsey said...

Whiskers on kittens? I could do that. I'm waiting for your googly-eyed mountains, though. Until then, this card will do quite nicely! Your quilled flower is gorgeous.

lostinpaper said...

Stunning Jessi!

Glenda J said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Melissa Craig said...

I love Sound of Music! And your card is lovely. Your quilling is so perfect.

spikescreativeside said...

Holy Dinah!! Jessi you have totally outdone yourself. First of all I tip my hat to you for quiling! I don't have the patience. Smart cookie with the vellum taping strategy because as you know...other craftin' folks would see stuff like that stickin' out.
That's just simply awesome and you my dear, deserve a toast not only for a great card but a cool take on the challenge!

Hugs

Spike

Jen W. said...

I wanna see the googly eyed mountains!! Almost as much as I wanted to see your hideous feet which were disappointingly unhideaous by the way!) Love the angled and torn vellum and the fun flock on the flower!

~Tammy~ said...

SOM is one of my Favorite all time movies! I would have a hard time getting started too!!! Can I just say my jaw hit the flower and I am not even sure how you do what you do! seriously! You have some mad talent Jessi! You can see something and make it uniquely come to life! Wow!

Nance said...

Another pretty card! Sound of Music is one of my all time fave movies! I just watched it again about a week ago. Nice interpretation of Edelweiss. Never saw it myself til your pic. Such a lovely and dainty card. Great elements put together all in one place.