Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Forever Card

Sometimes you get an idea, right? BRILLIANT idea, love it, can't wait to get it on paper. And then when you start getting it on paper, not.one.thing. goes the way you expected. I started by quilling a snowflake. Then I made the card base out of kraft paper, and sewed on some snowflake-embossed vellum. You'll note you don't see these things on this card. I stamped a sentiment, and that's not on this card either. After about 2 hours of fiddling, I decided to add some more vellum, and that's where it became pretty trash. It wasn't until after I'd done all the piercing that I realized my ruler wasn't aligned properly. Sigh.


Supplies: kraft paper; metallic brown card stock; Cuttlebug embossing folder; doily, vellum, and canvas from stash; classic small circle & snowflake Nesties; Martha Stewart large snowflake punch; 3/4" circle punch; button from Basic Grey; Snowflake stamps from Stampendous; Antique Linen distress ink; Tim Holtz design ruler; chocolate brown embroidery thread


I broke two needles while sewing this by hand. It's hard to see in the photos but the kraft is stamped with snowflakes. There's a small circle of metallic brown cardstock behind the button.

For all the annoying things that went wrong trying to make this, I love how it turned out. Now back to my desk to try and turn my original vision into a card!

I was inspired by the Merry Monday recipe challenge, and the little red wagon Kraft challenge.

xoxo,
Jessi

20 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

OH what we do for our beloved card making!!! Well, I gotta say, at least you CAN sew...Me, ha.. can't sew a button on straight..believe it. I LOVE how this turned out. The button is wonderful!! .. And love the stitched border!!

Carol L said...

Mamma said there'd be days like this, but the final result looks stunning with that big snowflake and the metallic embossed background! My cards take on a mind of their own all the time too :)

Jen W. said...

So annoying when that happens. The vision is so perfect in your head but it just won't translate! I love this card though. Gorgeous layers (especially that shiny embossed panel) and great texture!

Susan Joyce said...

Love the stitching, nice card. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

*Vicki* said...

WOW!! This is such a gorgeous card!! I do love the snowflakes and all of the gorgeous layers underneath too! :) Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*
My Blog: Stamp Smiles

Becca Cruger said...

I hate, hate those days! Sounds like you could use some wine and chocolate. But, on the plus side, usually after I create a stinker, I can work my way up to a beaut. Which is what you did!! I love the look of that brown, almost-fuzzy looking snowflake! Really cool!

JanR said...

That's the way it goes sometimes, eh? But look, it all worked out in the end as you made a lovely card. :-) Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I've learned that the more brilliant the idea in my head, the more likely it ain't gonna work. That doesn't stop me from trying though! I like your non-quilled, non-pierced, no-greeting card! The layers of kraft and white rock it.

jimlynn said...

AWESOME!!!! LOVE all that Kraft on this and it's just gorgeous! So beautiful.
You really are sounding like me in the craft room now though - and it's a pretty scary thought that there's actually two of us that do the same things! LOL! Everyone else makes it all look so easy and I'm just a constant struggle!
Lynn

Lindsey said...

Been there, have the recycling bin... ;) But at least you ended up with this beauty of a card... and perhaps what's left on your desk will give you at least one more!

Chris Dring said...

Making pretty trash is so irritating. But I really love the end result! Beautiful card, Jessi!

Unknown said...

I found your blog (cause I really want to see that skeleton garland at Christmas Time) - I can SO relate to the project/card where everything goes wrong. . .but your card looks perfect to me ~ Christi
http://art-without-anxiety.blogspot.com

Notes by Nina said...

You described just about every card that I make :). Your card turned out beautiful, the snowflake layered the doily looks so pretty. I am so glad that you joined us for Merry Monday.

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

Wow, a lot of love went into this card and it turned out beautifully! Glad you didn't give up and thanks for joining Merry Monday!

Peanut said...

WOW! This is gorgeous, Jessi. Love the layering and that gold and black detail go so well with the kraft. It's worth losing 2 needles.
hugs, Asha

Kristie Goulet said...

This turned out gorgeous, Jessi! Very pretty. Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

Dana said...

I know just how you feel!! It happens to me all the time!! But you pulled it off, love the colors of kraft and white together!!

Lesley said...

I never have that happen (cough). Love this so much, the symmetrical look appeals to me! SO pretty!

Bonnie T. said...

Love all of the pattern and texture in this card. The neutral colors combine perfectly so that your eye goes to all of the little details.

Greta said...

Gorgeous layers, Jessi!