Thursday, April 7, 2011

Quilt-y Baby Cards

I don't generally make multiples, but when I do a 'technique-y' card I sometimes decide to keep going if I like how things are turning out...or like with a bargello card I did yesterday, if I keep messing up badly enough but am too stubborn to give up...(that one I do like..still have to take a photo, though!). These are really similar, but besides the obvious difference in gender intention I still think they're different enough from one another. Go with me on this! lol



Supplies for both: scraps in coordinating colours;
Cuttlebug folders: swiss dots, polka dots, dots & spots, Victorian;
Nestabilities lacey circles;
footprints stamp from Stampcraft;
stamped with Versamark and embossed with white EP
The how-to is pretty obvious, I think, but just in case - I cut my scrap pieces to 1x4 inches, then embossed them each with a different folder. After embossing I trimmed to 1"x1," and began adhering them to a cardstock layer, staggering each row slightly. I trimmed each quilted piece to the size I wanted after adhering all the squares - too many times I've done it directly on the card front, and it never fails to look lopsided. Each envelope has a single row of squares in the different patterns. It only takes a minute or two to add something to the envelope while you're at it, but people comment all the time on how much they like that. Ah, it's the little things that make us happy, right?

Thanks for the kind comments about my friend's illness. No further news yet, but after the initial shock we've all sucked it up and are trying our very best not to panic until we need to. (Well, not need to, but you know what I mean).

On my own health - diabetes is a crappy disease. Not that you didn't already know that, but anyway...the past months have been a rollercoaster ride, and I don't particularly enjoy rollercoasters. Last week the doctor added a second medication to help control my high sugars, and for the past 3 or 4 days I have actually begun to feel like myself again. I haven't cried since Monday - hah! hopefully that doesn't jinx it - and talking to my mom last night, she said I sounded like myself for the first time in months. It's funny how many things are affected by high blood sugar. I never would have suspected that it would affect behaviour and emotions as much as it does. At least now I know - besides the physical signs, my indicators tend to be emotional. I mentioned this to someone last week, and for the next several days Connor watched me test my blood anxiously, finally saying, "Are you going to cry? It's only a number, you don't have to cry if it's a big number!" I've been so exhausted and emotionally drained with everything happening the last few months, and I've definitely noticed that I don't feel like creating. I do, but I had to force myself to go sit at my desk to create. Yesterday & today I've made about 12 cards - I don't remember the last time I made that many in a week! Maybe just knowing that I have a break on the way is helping too :)

Blah, blah, blah-de-blah, lol!
xoxo,
Jessi

2 comments:

Emily Keaton said...

These quilt-y baby cards are adorable!! You picked such perfect paper patterns, and those baby foot prints are so sweet. So glad to hear that you're feeling better these days. Sounds like you've had a rough patch here recently. You really deserve the relief you've found!!! Hang in there. :)

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

ADORABLE!!!!