Sunday, March 11, 2012

Good grief, another post?

OK, last one for today, I promise. If it's any consolation, I will not post much this coming week, since the boys are on March Break & we have so much packed into the next 5 days I expect to need an appointment to go to the washroom! This way I can get everything linked up - I would hate to have participated in a challenge & then missed linking up to it :)

This post is for little red wagon #123, "Bob & Weave" - weave something! You've until Tuesday night to link up for this challenge, which so far seems to be proving a challenge indeed! Only 6 have linked up so far...and I know why. It's *hard* {insert whiny teen voice here}. This is my second attempt -my first is currently waiting for my temper to subside so I can get back to it.

Supplies: white cardstock;
stamp from Michaels; Palette Noir ink;
black crochet thread;
quilling paper
I don't generally make one-layer cards because inevitably I end up smudging or otherwise messing it up. This is the second attempt - thank goodness I stamped the greeting first so I could grab another card & try again. Then, transferring the woven piece...it ended up separating a little, so thus the bow. I do like the finished card, though, especially that even with a bow it still feels like it would be an appropriate masculine card.

For the weaving, I used precut quilling paper in two widths for some visual interest. I used tape to stick the horizontal pieces down to a piece of plain copy paper, and then wove all the vertical pieces before adhering them (so that I could continue to adjust as I went...something I learned from the first attempt!). Once I finished weaving, I used double-sided tape to cover the entire top of the weaving. I cut the piece to size, peeled off the copy paper, and then the tape backing, and stuck it to the card. Clear as mud? lol

xoxo,
Jessi

18 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

Very cool idea...love the weaving!

Theresa said...

Wow! Fabulous weaving. What a wonderful card. I love the varying widths.

JanR said...

You didn't make it look like it was hard! ;-) Thanks for playing with us at Little Red Wagon.

Wendy ten Hove said...

Wauw, but you surely succeeded this second try! Your weaving looks pretty and I like it a lot that the rest is more simple on the card, gives all attention to your weaved art! Very nice!
Wishing you a very nice week!
Hugs, Wendy

Annette Allen said...

wow I love how you created this weave of paper...looks so awesome and so creative...love it

Rosanne said...

Terrific card! Thanks for playing along with the weaving challenge at Little Red Wagon.

Unknown said...

this is awesome jessi! i tried to weave a pattern like this...once...but stopped after the tears started flowing. love the big bow too...pretty card!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

Your card is FABULOUS - great design! Have a great day, hugs Karin

Dana said...

WOW! I love this card!! I quilling got me into card making so I am going to try this!! I have a ton of strips!! WOnderful idea!!

kingstonmama said...

Holy cow! You've been busy lately. This is a great card. I love your weaving. :) Ann Y.

Jen W. said...

Quilling paper = brilliant. I'd have been sitting at the trimmer for ages trying to cut perfectly sized little strips... I like the different sizes. Has the temper cooled enough for card #1 yet? ;)

Tammy said...

I like the asymetrical weaving!
Thanks for playing with us at LRW!

Jocelyn Olson said...

I love a post title like yours--LOL! I'm glad you stuck with the card because it's really cool! I made a card with weaving once, but it never made it on the blog...in fact, it only made it to the trash (and it was lucky it wasn't set on fire after how irritating it was to make!). I agree that even with the bow, your card makes a great masculine card. :)

walchowDesign said...

Your weaving card is so beautiful, Jessi! Congrats with this one layer card too! Have a nice break with the kids!

Jenny said...

I feel your pain..... How frustrated can you get with strips of paper and to think we were given this to do in preschool when we made woven paper place mats!!!
Card two looks awesome anyhow... Hope card one is sulking :0)
Jenny x

Lisa Arana said...

WOW! Look at that fantastic weaving. Well worth the effort (in my humble opinion). Fabulous!

lostinpaper said...

Definitely worth the effort, I just love the weaving! What a fantastic effect!

Emily Leiphart said...

That basket weave looks amazing with the different colours and widths. Wow!