Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ukuleles!

Sometimes I get a custom order that just tickles my funny bone - and this is one of them! Near the end of last year one of my regular customers asked if I could make a birthday card with ukuleles on it for her husband's birthday, and I said sure....but what was popping into my mind was "Tiny Bubbles" and "Tiptoe Through the Tulips." So I said that, and she said "The cheesier the better!" And my crafty heart sang those songs with joy while I came up with the funnest, cheesiest ukulele card I could:
Supplies: music paper from MME;
tulip stamp from PSX; Palette Noir ink;
coloured with Prismacolor pencils & Dove blender;
birthday rub-on from Doodlebug;
letter stickers from Basic Grey;
Ukuleles and Hawaiian clip art from Google Images;
Wild Honey distress ink;
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic;
Studio G iridescent glitter glue

Shiny! Look at those awesome ukuleles...I'm so proud of myself!
Tulips? Check.
Low-res Hawaiian clip art of hula girl? Check.
SHE'S PLAYING A UKULELE? Awesomeness check.
Tiny glittery bubbles? Check.

The fact that he liked the card so much that the next week he came & told me so himself? Beyond awesome. 

I made the ukuleles by using a black & white image, and swiping the Wild Honey ink pad directly on the card stock. Once that was dry, I painted the 'wood' of the ukes with the Dimensional Magic to make them shiny, and cut them out once that was dry. 

Next week I'll be teaching a kids' cardmaking class at the Joggins Fossil Centre, and if you're local I'd love for you to come! There's a number of activities through March Break, and here's the link if you're interested:
http://jogginsfossilcliffs.blogspot.com/2012/02/march-break-activities-at-centre.html Many of the activities require pre-registration, and all that info is available at the link.

xoxo,
Jessi

10 comments:

Marie said...

Super cheesy card lol I am giggling and smiling from ear to ear. What a super creative card! Love the ukulele treatment.

Sandy Ang said...

what a cool card !

Wendy ten Hove said...

You should be proud at yourself, this card is fun and pretty!!! Very, very nice! Love the shiny details on the ukelele's!!!
Hugs, Wendy

JJ Bolton said...

Your card made me LOL! Love it!!! And it's so cute that the recipient thanked you personally:) I love the technique you used on the ukuleles!

Have fun with your class! Sounds like a great idea!

Annette Allen said...

wow this is so amazing...love it..

Have a wonderful weekend.

~Tammy~ said...

This just flat out rocks and makes me miss living in Hawaii! Really...I am missing it so much and your card made me smile!

Your card making class sound wonderful!

lostinpaper said...

What a fun design! She reminds me of the 'old school' girls!

Jen W. said...

LOL! Those shiny ukuleles are brilliant!

Lisa Arana said...

*giggle* what a super fun card.

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS!!! ukeleles rule. can't wait to hear how your teaching spot goes...share some deets please! :)