Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Shopping our Stash #188 - TP or not TP


We have a really fun challenge for you this week at Shopping our Stash - toilet paper. Paper Towel. I'm serious! There are lots of fun ways to incorporate these into your crafty projects - toilet paper casting, embossing, inking, using blender solution to add texture...the design team has used a variety of techniques and there are loads more. So - we want to see you use your TP! You can also create a project inspired by the patterns on your toilet paper or paper towels. 

Although I definitely had some epic fail moments while getting started, I enjoyed the messy play of toilet paper casting! My finished project includes embossed toilet paper and the reverse side of a casted piece. I did the embossing by trial and error -  the error? Do not run the toilet paper and embossing folder through while they are wet. Just don't. You'll have to clean your entire machine, and will shred the TP into teeeny itty bits that stick everywhere. 

I didn't take pictures while I was working because I didn't know if it would turn out, but what worked to create the embossing was: four sheets of toilet paper stacked, dampened (really just use enough water to dampen the entire piece, not soak it). Spray mist if desired. Place inside the embossing folder and close it, burnishing it with your hand (do NOT run through the machine!) Open the folder and dry carefully with your heat gun, keeping the paper inside the folder. Once it's dry, run it through the machine for a crisper embossing.


Supplies: toilet paper; Cuttlebug embossing folder; Flourishes heart stamp; PTI and Stampendous background stamps; Tattered Angels spray mists in Yellow Daisy, Turquoise Blue; Candy Apple; Distress Crackle paint in Broken China; Tim Holtz bubbles stencil; Distress inks in Broken China & Festive Berries; Paper Smooches swirls dies; Ranger Perfect Pearls spray in turquoise; Dress it Up "love" button; buttons, seam binding, doily, gems all from stash





I stopped several times while making this to say to myself OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING? I began the background panel by using Distress Crackle Paint and the bubble stencil. Once that was dry I stamped the various background swirls and splots and sponged to soften the white. I added the embossed corners, and the doily, and was stumped. Buttons to the rescue! The heart had terrific detail from the casting, but a very distracting heavy layer of shimmer that I didn't care for, so I used the reverse side. The splotchy inky mottled look was exactly what I wanted. I trimmed carefully along the edge of the stamped image. The seam binding bow is sewn on. The swirls were cut from a piece of pre-misted paper I'd done before Christmas. And the 'love' button was the perfect final 'something' it needed!



I did end up using more than three of the options, but my goal was the centre vertical row of die cuts, stamps, and embossing folders. 

So are you ready to play with your TP? join in with the SOS crew: 


And you have until Monday,February 16th to join in!
xoxo,
Jessi



18 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

So much work, but the result is amazing! Great use of stash, and I had to look up "casting". I've never tried that one!

PS: Love the sassy FB photo.

*Vicki* said...

WOW! This is really stunning Jessi!! Love all of the details of your design with the doily, heart and seam binding! It looks so Vintage chic!! :)

lauren bergold said...

OH MY GOSH! you did the casting with an EMBOSSING FOLDER!!!!!!!!!!! ok, see, that is AWESOME!!! i should have googled tp casting before i made my card b/c i soooooooooooooooo want to do this! oh well, i can try it now, right?! you are sooooooooooooo clever oh techniquey one!!! :) :) :)

Becca Cruger said...

Well this card doesn't stink at all. In fact, I'd say it wipes away the competition. I'm sorry...was that too much? Sometimes I see a line and I just step right over it. You are UNBELIEVABLY genius! Thank you for being such a great experimenter and giving us all new things to try! I can't believe this was made with TP!! Now... what can I make with it... hmmmmmmm

Chana Malkah said...

Jessi, this is so neat! Love that you used the TP two ways! Nice job wtih the paper casting.
Hugz,
Chana

Chris Dring said...

TP casting - who knew! This card was definitely a labor of love, but damn girl! Absolutely stunning!!!!

jimlynn said...

Whoever knew that toilet paper could be so fun - and make this so pretty! This is gorgeous!!!! I love everything about it Jessi.
Lynn

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Jessie this card is gorgeous and what a great idea to use TP I've used paper towels in the past now I must try the TP. Hugs

Lindsey said...

Of course you had to actually put toilet paper on your card! You couldn't be satisfied with just imitating the pattern. ;) What a great technique, though! And a beautiful card.

Barbara Godden said...

Fabulous job on the card, love all the elements you put on it.

Debbie said...

I've never heard of TP on a card, but wow! You did a great job with it!!

walchowDesign said...

Really? You made the heart with TP? This is absolutely gorgeous work with the artistic bg, Jessi! I just worked with the 5 years old at school yesterday with "junk"and one of them is to use TP!

Julia S-W said...

I had to laugh when you asked yourself what you were doing! I think you've made a gorgeous piece with this rather unusual ingredient and your blog post is great fun to read too! Love the colours: bold, bright and beautiful. Thanks so much for joining in my challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Juliax

Donna said...

Whaaaaaaaa - that is ALL kinds of super awesome gorgeousness!! Fab job on the challenge sistah!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic TP creation, Jessi!! How very clever are You!! :) :) I love the bright reds & blues you're using not only in your inks, but in your buttons, too!! That circle of buttons behind the heart is darling!! Just a Fabulous card, Jessi!! I'm glad you came over to Our Creative Corner for our Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge this month!! XOXO-Shari

Greta said...

This is an amazing creation, Jessi--LOVE it!

Carol L said...

Well who knew toilet paper would work so well for cards too?! I should "wipe" the slate clean and re-think the whole idea! LOL Great card, and I love the colors!

Dana said...

WoW!!! If you hadn;t said anything, i would have no idea you used toilet paper!! What a unique way to use it though hehehe!!! Fabulous card!!