Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Flourishes' Timeless Tuesday #252 - Shake it Up!

Oh em gee, it's finally here! Today I'm the guest designer at Flourishes - eeeeeeeek! This week's challenge is to make a shaker card - with all the sequins taking the crafty world by storm you're sure to have some fun stuff to shake! Here is a quick link to a Splitcoaststampers tutorial on how to make a basic shaker card, click here!

First I'll show you my finished card, and then I'll share some of the step-by-step photos I took while I was making it:


Supplies: Flourishes stamp set Joy is In the Air; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Spectrum Noir markers; Tumbled Glass distress ink; May Arts ribbons; foam tape; acetate; bits & bobs for the shaker; Sakura Stardust glitter pen



This set with its snow globe fillers is such a natural setting for a shaker card! Stamp the snow globe twice, and on one panel stamp the inside scene as well. That will be the piece that shows through for the shaker scene. 



The 'unfilled' snow globe will form the aperture for your shaker - carefully trim out the inside of the globe with a craft knife.


Colour the base of the globe, stamp the background if desired (I desired! lol)  and turn the panel over to adhere your piece of acetate
 


Colour the scene inside the snow globe - I've coloured the base again, even though it won't show in the final card just in case :) 




I like to make my shaker cards nice and thick so  there's lots of room for STUFF to shake - I use foam tape on a roll from the dollar store, doubled. Make a frame around your image, making sure not to leave any gaps where filler can leak out (especially if you're using microbeads...those suckers are escape artists!)


FILL WITH STUFF! I've used shaped confetti, microbeads, and glitter. You can use sequins, buttons, anything that is thinner than your foam layer will work. 



Carefully remove the adhesive from the foam frame (so much static - the next couple minutes will be spent picking confetti off of the exposed adhesive. I've never found a way around that yet!) and line up your top panel & adhere. Make sure you press all around to ensure a good seal!



Finish your card however you like! I've added ribbons here. This card & scene are perfect for a wintery thank you card! 



SHINY!


You definitely need to head over to the design team's blogs & see what they've created for this challenge - I can't wait!


And even more? I can't wait to see what YOU create for this challenge! You don't have to use Flourishes stamps to participate (but if you do, you get 2 chances to win!) Link up at the Flourishes blog by Monday January 6! 

xoxo,
Jessi






21 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome shaker card. what company makes the snow globe stamp? I like shaker cards but haven't done one in eons. Thanks for the step by step tutorial it was very helpful. Sad I don't have sequins. Might go digging in my sewing stash lol.

Dana said...

Wow jessi this card is awesome! Love love it!!

Chris Dring said...

This shaker card is all kinds of awesome, Jessi! Love it!

jimlynn said...

I've GOT to try this!!! Too cute!
Lynn

Katie Sims said...

That is one sweet little shaker card, Jessi...the snow globe is perfect for this technique! I am so glad you could be our GD this week....so enjoyed seeing your beautiful work! Happy New Year to you and your family!

TLady said...

VERY CUTE!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE PERFECT IMAGE for a SHAKER CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) AND EVERYONE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES INTERACTIVE CARDS!!!!!!!!!! :) SUPER JOB!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Donna said...

Love your shaker card Jessi and congrats on the guest DT assignment you crafty rockstar!!
Ohhhh a shaker card with sequins...yaaaaaa....good idea!!! Barb I will send you 1000 or so sequins LOL

Unknown said...

Perfect image for a Shaker card. Congrats on Hostessing! FUN Challenge, count me in! And of course, Happy New Year!

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Haven't made one of these in years but I think you're inspired me to make one . This is so cute and the snow globe is perfect for a shaker card . Thanks for sharing
Happy New Year

Darnell said...

WOWZA, how fun is this card!! Thank you so much for showing the how-to, Jessi! I adore the pinks and blues and sparkles!! Hugs, Darnell

D- said...

Love your shaker card.
Thanks for sharing.
Crafty hugs,
D~
DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

Lindsey said...

Awesomesauce, Jessi! A fantabulous card for your Flourishes GDT spotlight! Doesn't it figure that the snowglobe wouldn't match a circle die, sigh? ;)

Greta said...

Congrats again, Jessi--you made Flourishes proud! Hoping to finally make my first shaker card & join in your challenge. Happy New Year!

Kris B said...

Wonderful card Jessi!! Congrats on being a guest designer for Flourishes! Not sure if I'll have time to join in the challenge but thanks for the tutorial. Pinning so I can find it quick if I get up the courage to try a shaker card! The always intimidate me a little. Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

I LOVE your shaker card, Jessi! I don't have that set, but it really is perfect for a shaker card! This was my first time to make one of these, so I didn't get too creative with my fillers. I wish I'd thought to use shapes and glitter instead of just beads. Thanks for sharing your tutorial--I'd never have thought to just make a rectangular shaker box with a round opening. I'm SO glad you guest designed with the Friends of Flourishes team this week! Awesome challenge! Hope you have a Happy, Happy New Year! ~Hugs!

Chana Malkah said...

Congratulations on your GDT assignment! Your shaker card is fabulous!
Hugz,
Chana

lostinpaper said...

Congrats to you! Love your fun tutorial and the fabulous result!

Allison Cope said...

Fabulous challenge Jessi! Your card is simply adorable! Thanks for joining us this week at Flourishes as our Guest Designer!

Debbie said...

I love this!! Thanks for the wonderful tut! You make it sound easy enough that I may even be able to do it!

Melissa Craig said...

Ooooh shiney! Fabulous card and another great tutorial.

Deborah Anton said...

It was great having you guest with us! Fabulous challenge and card creation you made! I love the snow globe and background you created.