Monday, May 28, 2012

Bright Bite Spatters

Well now, that's a strange title :) But really, crafty ladies, it makes sense. This card feels very out of my norm, but I LOVE IT for that very reason. It was inspired by two Moxie Fab World challenges - the recent "Bright Bite" Tuesday Trigger (ended), and the Card Creations Week "Spatter Technique." (open until June 4). Check it out (flaps excitedly):
Supplies: Distress inks: Mustard seed, Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick;
Adirondack Citrus ink;
Martha Stewart butterfly punch & stamp;
Sentiment from Market Street Stamps, with London Fog Memento ink;
Sakura Stardust glitter pen (on sentiment);
watercolour brush;
Tattered Angels mists (and Glimmer Glam) in: Private Meadow, Yellow Daisy,
Cherub Pink, Rockin' on Sunshine;
Tim Holtz design ruler & piercing tool; white embroidery floss;
corner rounder


This card took several days to complete as I played with different ideas. The final tally of 'stuff I did':
*used direct-to-paper technique to smear ink onto the card stock
*used watercolour brush to pick up each colour of ink & drip onto the paper
*again using a brush, lightly painted each colour swipe with a corresponding mist colour
*used a toothpick to pick up 'drops' of mist, then lightly touched the toothpick to the cardstock to leave small spatters
*stamped sentiment
*traced over sentiment with glitter pen



Yep, still going...for a relatively CAS card it took a lot of steps! That's why I love it so much :)
*punched 3 butterflies from each colour of scrap cardstock - no idea which kinds, I just grabbed them from the scrap drawer
*using the design ruler, pierced evenly along the edge of the card
*carefully lined up & punched each butterfly layer - they're adhered only with the stitching
*gently folded each butterfly layer upwards for more dimension
*used the butterfly stamp on the envelope to match, and realized it would be perfect in the lower right corner- using Spiced Marmalade ink, stamped once on scrap paper & again over the sentiment. If this had smeared, I swear I would have cried.
*rounded the lower right corner
*Smiled, picked up the card, and insisted my husband praise how awesome it turned out. He sort of obliged ;)

The colours were inspired by the photograph for the Bright Bite Tuesday Trigger, but since I took so much time with my card I blew way past the deadline for it. Still, here's the photo - it's from that I drew the inspiration, and the rest evolved from the colours.
There are loads of open challenges over at Moxie Fab World right now, so head over & see if anything catches your fancy! The Card Creations week challenges are open until June 4th, so lots of time to create something & share it :)
xoxo,
Jessi

19 comments:

JJ Bolton said...

This is fabulous Jessi!!! The pic just popped out in my Blogger reader! I absolutely love what you did with the swishes and splatters:) Your "experiments" turned out so awesome!

Hope you're having a great Monday Jessi!

Annette Allen said...

this is GORGEOUS...love how you sewed the butterflies and the splash of color...great card...and great take on the trigger..

CinnamonSally said...

Wow Jessi I think this is a fabulous take on the trigger photo, such a pretty card.

~Tammy~ said...

Umm hello your efforts are so worth it. This looks like a small piece of art! I just kept staring at it!

Dawn said...

What a work of art! I love everything about it! I don't think I would have been brave enough to stamp the butterfly on last, but it looks gorgeous.

Hugs

lostinpaper said...

Lovin' the spatter!! and those wonderful brights are perfect for the trigger! You go girl, this card totally ROCKS!

Jenny said...

Well what more can I add?... I too love the swishes of colour to the butterflies:0)
I'm most in awe that the butterflies are adhered only with stitching!! ...the little b*****s would have moved if I tried that!!
Jenny x

Lindsey said...

Very awesome! Love the bright colours, the splatters, and the butterflies!

~amy~ said...

wonderfully Perfect!!!!

Dana said...

This is so pretty!! I love the bright colors and LOVE the way you did the 'smeared' colors that matched the butterflies!!

Lisa Arana said...

wow. i love the beautiful colors and the way you used the ink and water colors. gorgeous.

yyam said...

It is awesome. Seriously. So artsy with all the different techniques applied. :)

walchowDesign said...

Fabulous design, Jessi! Love all different techniques and the splatters reminded me of school days playing with watercolours!

Emily Keaton said...

Jessi, I just LOVE how this turned out!! It's SO creative and very cool and colorful. Had laugh at that last "step" in your list--I do that kind of thing, too!! Good for you for going outside your norm on this one. I love what resulted when you stretched!!

Jen W. said...

Officially my newest favourite card of yours!! (Well, second to the Lotion in the Basket of course!) It's so fun with so many awesome details!! You killed it!

Jocelyn Olson said...

I agree with Jen--this is my second favorite card of yours (behind the lotion in the basket)! Everything--the splatter, the butterflies, the stitching. It's all super cool! You rocked it!

Unknown said...

AWESOME take on the challenge! i love this card...i think it's my fave of yours...and i've loved a lot of your cards girlie!

Marie said...

Super spectacular card even if it took hours to complete. CAS cards seem hard and very time consuming. Love the different techniques on this card, Jessi.

Karen Dunbrook said...

pretty, creative card...