Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Father's Day challenges abound!

I can't believe I almost missed the deadline for these - I was so excited to share my spattered butterfly card that I did that first :) Anyway, squeaking in just on time with a few Father's Day cards for two challenges, the Simon Says...Father's Day/Special Male challenge and the little red wagon Oh-Daddy-Oh challenge, both of which are ending tonight. I find Father's Day cards particularly challenging - not the masculine aspect, the father aspect. It's a long story, but I've spent most of my life estranged from my father, and so it makes it difficult to celebrate other fathers. Probably because it means I spend a lot more time thinking of my dad, and how I wish things were different.

Anyway!

Supplies: Clip art from the Graphics Fairy;
anchor button from Dress it Up!;
paper from My Mind's Eye;
Faded Jeans distress ink;
sentiment from Ditto (Michaels)

Supplies: papers from Bo Bunny (love these!);
robot from My Favorite Things; Palette Noir ink;
Prismacolor pencils & Dove blender;
White Souffle pen; black glaze pen (Sakura);
sentiment from Ditto;
gear finding from Tim Holtz

Love how the colouring turned out!

Supplies: woodgrain paper from Cosmo Cricket;
Clip art from the Graphics Fairy;
Vintage photo distress ink;
twine & 'Dad' stamp from Paper Smooches

the clip art was printed twice, so that I could layer it with foam tape
Like I said earlier in the week, I have so much to share this week - and once again I've been keeping up with how many cards I've made in the month of May. Do you think I'll beat April's total of 83? Three days left...hmmm....
xoxo,
Jessi

13 comments:

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Jessi!

How are you? Hope all is well! These cards are so lovely! My dad is a big fan of ships like these, so he would surely love those two! And the robot is so funny! Very nice cards!!

Hugs, Wendy

lostinpaper said...

More fab cards Jessi! I also lurve how your robot is coloured on the DP, it's so clever!

Annette Allen said...

awesome Father's Day cards...love the first one...just looks so cool...

walchowDesign said...

Beautiful Father's Day cards! You are a "card-marathon", Jessi!

Emily Keaton said...

Oh, WAY to go on these manly Father's Day cards! I love the nautical ones (that clip art you used is awesome!), and your coloring on that fun tin man dad is terrific! You have every right to be proud of how it turned out. Yay!!

kingstonmama said...

Fab Father's Day cards. I especially like the last one. I love how the card is notched where the twine wraps around the card base. I have to remember that clever little trick! :) Ann

Jen W. said...

Love the robot card! Fun colours and awesome shading on the 'bot - it looks cool on top of the coloured paper.

I struggle with father cards as well. My dad stopped talking to my brother and I about 9 years ago. I don't know where he is or even if he's dead or alive. And since he was estranged from most of his family I don't really know them at all.

Jocelyn Olson said...

Sorry to hear that dad cards are hard for you. :( You could have put all of the sentiments on little strips so you could remove them after the pictures to use for someone else. LOL! You rocked the masculine cards--great image and papers in the first, awesome shading on the robot, the twine and the notching on the third is perfect with the image.

Unknown said...

these are perfect Jessi! i LOVE the first and third cards. they look like framed pieces of art :)

yyam said...

These are fabulous masculine cards Jessi! Love the boats! :)

Allison Rankin said...

Love these...I want that last one! The image, the paper, the tones...just perfect!

Marie said...

You win hands down you are officially the Queen of card making. What do you do with all of these cards? Love the nautical themed men's cards. Super great for my men's basket. Will have to CASE these.

~Tammy~ said...

83 cards really...how on earth??? I am exhausted wrapping my brain around that....

You have done an amazing job. I find Masculine cards challenging as it is, and I can't imagine creating when your heart is not in it. So sorry things are estranged between you and your father.

I have a difficult time with Father's Day cards as my Dad passed away when I was 8. I wish I had him here. So much he has missed that I wished he shared in.