Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Let's (try to) Get Trendy, Now :)

I have a bunch of cards I was inspired to make after seeing all the fun trendy goodness in the Let's Get Trendy Now workshop (go check it out here - Yvonne's got a new subscription form for an encore presentation if you missed it - it's free, so you've got nothing to lose!)
I have a feeling that I'll be sharing even more, since I really found this workshop a kick in the rear to USE some of that trendy stuff that I HAD TO HAVE....it's not just to look at, silly!
First up, a sketch:
Supplies: paper from Fancy Pants;
flowers from Prima;
brads from Basic Grey;
Liquid Pearls, 1"circle punch; corner rounder
Sentiment from Hero Arts; Bundled Sage distress ink;
'wedding day' brad from stash;

As soon as I took this picture, I realized rounding the top left/bottom right
corners was the way to finish it off - yes? 
For the heart shape, I sketched it out on scrap white cardstock, cut it out, and laid out & attached all the flowers to that piece. That way all those brad prongs don't show on the inside. Here's the sketch it's based on (pretty literal interpretation):
Next up, a two-fer: banners and baker's twine. These just go together for me.
Supplies: gingham paper & lion die-cut from K&Co;
green dotted paper & green/yellow buttons from Basic Grey;
scrap green cardstock & orange button from stash;
Baker's twine from Paper Smooches;
banner die from My Favorite Things; Martha Stewart fringing scissors
I always want my banners to curve, so I snip between each pennant to allow the whole line to bend slightly (you can see this better if you click the picture to view full-size). I added the twine afterwards by using a very thin line of Zip Dry glue, and the little bows were tied separately & glued on as well. Besides fringing the grass, I also snipped along the patterns in the lion's mane for added dimension.

Finally, another baker's twine card:
Supplies: papers from Memory Works 'Summer Fresh;'
baker's twine from Paper Smooches (red, blue, yellow);
Versamark & Barn Door distress ink; clear EP;
sentiment from Daisy Bucket
I tied the multi-loop twine bow following Emily's tutorial when she was a guest blogger at Do More With Less. Guess what I did, though? I put the camera down immediately after taking this picture, snagged the tails of the twine, and pulled the bow undone.

*blue air*

Since everything was already adhered it was a bit of a trick to re-tie the bow in a way I was happy with, but I did manage. 

Today's been a waiting day - waiting for the restoration company to come pick up the last of their equipment and put the sanitized pallets back in place. Then begins the next round: sorting & reorganizing what's left, finishing insurance documents (which involves tracking down prices for everything), and filing the insurance claim. However, after a good round of cleaning upstairs I feel like we might be almost back to normal!

xoxo,
Jessi

18 comments:

Debbie said...

These are all great!! I really like the bright flowers on the 'happy, happy, joy,joy' card!!
Glad to hear there is progress in the sewer situation!! I thought about saying 'glad to hear things are moving along' in the sewer situation but decided not to say it!
:)

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

Your flower-heart is such an adorable idea, Jessi!! Love it!

Theresa said...

Hi Friend, love the heart flowers. I wouldn't have the patience to puzzle it together. Such great cards.

I have no voice, all I do is cough. I'm just flat out exhausted.

~amy~ said...

FAB-ulous....these are absolutely wonderful! Great take on the sketch...love the use of the blooms! A-dorable two-fer card...seriously love it! last but not lease...your happy happy joy joy card....soooo very happy filled!!!

I'm thrilled that you played along with us!!!

Marie said...

Super great cards, Jessi. Love the rounded corners...amazing how such a little thing can change the whole feel of the card. Happy happy joy card says it all...makes me happy. Love the lion and I'm not lyin.

Melissa Craig said...

What an absolutely gorgeous line up of cards! I really love the heart filled with flowers.

yyam said...

Ooooh...I love all of your fabulous cards! I'm so happy that you were so inspired by our little workshop! You are certainly trendy indeed! :)

P/s: Glad to see how you've put my guest Emily's tutorial to good use too! Kudos!
Hope everything gets organized soon!

Anonymous said...

SUPA trendy Jessi! Where to start... the flower heart is genius.... those fun buttons and banner (on a funky gingham bg no less...)superb and finally... the multi-twine bow is perfect! Voila!

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I love your take on the sketch, and you're 100% right, the corners you rounded perfectly balance the curves/placement of the heart. I LOVE the lion card...everything about it is perfect. And the multicolored twine and that awesome floral background on the 3rd card is so lush. Great designs!

Jingle said...

Cute cards! I love the last one!

walchowDesign said...

Love how you did with the banner and I like it curve too - thanks for the tip, Jessi! Love the happy colours of the last card and with the matching twine!

Thanks for the head on that I was featured in Lilypad!

Nance said...

Wonderful collection of different cards! Cute, cute flower heart! I'm still MIA but hoping to be back in a day or so.

My goal right now is even just one card a day. Hopefully I can get there.

Love seeing all your work everyday.

Have a good Wed!

Nance

JJ Bolton said...

What a happy group of cards! And the multi-colored twine bow is totally worth all the trouble:) So cute!

Hope all the restoration stuff has worked itself out!

Jenny said...

And they always come undone when you've trimmed the ends short don't they!!!!! :0(
Your certainly enjoying the Workshop...... Love the heart of flowers and thanks for the tip on the MFT die, I must admit I was disappointed when I saw it wasn't going to be easy to bend :0) love the matching twine on the flowery card :0)
Jenny x

Emily Keaton said...

totally trendy, my friend! These cards are so much fun--so colorful and fresh and, well, trendy! Your twine bow on the last one looks absolutely terrific!! Sorry it caused you to turn the air blue afterward, but I'll bet you fixed it up perfectly--no one will be able to tell.

I'm glad that you are now within a stone's throw of normality! Good luck with the final clean up!

~Tammy~ said...

So wonderful life in the house is getting back to normal. Blah on the paperwork part.

Trendy and cool that's what your cards are. Love the multiethnic-twine bow. So fabulous, and I love those flowers shaped in a heart. The lion card is so so cute! Love the rolling hills.

All amazing creations.

~Tammy~ said...

Ugg I hate auto correct. Missed the error. It's suppose to be multi-twine

Jen W. said...

Love the heart of flowers - what a brilliant way to use them up! The lion is adorable and the colours of the third card just make me happy. As does that bow. And the giggle I got from your torment (because that is so something I would do!!). Sorry to be amused by your pain...