Sunday, July 21, 2013

Before & After for little red wagon

Well, the gals at little red wagon have a tough one this week - they want us to 

Take a project you've made but never felt satisfied with, and make-it-over!
  It can be as simple as adding/removing embellishments or doing a complete gut job, keeping only the basics.  Be sure to show us both the BEFORE and AFTER photos!

Although I photographed it, I never shared this card on the blog because I really wasn't all that happy with it. I was trying to use up some scraps (which is good), and using a fun new stamp (which is good), and practicing with my alcohol markers (which is good)...and then the bling happened. Not good.


Supplies: Paper Smooches stamps; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Bic Markers; Basic Grey papers; classic small oval Nesties; Mod Podge dimensional magic; bling strips

It's just so....no. Meh. I still have it. It's even in my card basket, but I really don't like it. I DO like the feel of the scraps layout, though, so I tried again:


Supplies: paper scraps from Bo Bunny & MME; stamp from Studio G; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Mod Podge Dimensional Magic; googly eyes; 1.5" circle punch; Bic Markers; Corner Chomper

I think what makes me like the second card more is that it's got more white space. There are still 4 different patterns, lots of colours, and the little details like googly eyes & glossy bits - but they are balanced. The variety in the strip widths makes me happier too.


Oh man, I think I might have stepped over to the CAS side. I did NOT see that coming! 

I could likely play this challenge another 100 times...there's always something I'd like to change about my cards, especially looking at them months/years after making them! 

xoxo,
Jessi





12 comments:

Chris Dring said...

Well, I like both of them. So there!

Lisa Arana said...

awww, how cute is that redo, though the first one was cute too!

Jen W. said...

Yup, I think you have crossed over! Bwahahahaha! I do like the strips on the first one and the awesome bold colours but the kitty on the second one is so cute!

walchowDesign said...

Both cards look good to me, Jessi! Love how you used up the scraps!

Tammy said...

Yes, the white space definitely allows the rest of your elements to shine. Thanks for playing along with our challenge over at LRW!!

lostinpaper said...

Oh my your do-over is fab and definitely cas too, what a great idea for a challenge!

Darnell said...

Hahahaha! Welcome to the land of CAS, Jessi, we are glad to have you on board! And wait, anyway. Why do you say it like it's a bad thing?!

I have to agree with you on this card. I do love it with more white space. It's super cute!!

Lindsey said...

Eek! I need that cat stamp! Love this card, and while the first one is fine, you've definitely improved the overall look with your redo. Must be the CAS influence. :)

Greta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greta said...

Boy, Jessi--you totally figured out what to do to fix that card! I love your new work! I would never run out of material for this challenge!

lauren bergold said...

well, i actually love the first one, too! and mostly BECAUSE of the bling, lol! :) but the second one is well, PERR-fect, polished, and yeah... kind of a bit of a C&S masterpiece. so you GO, girl! ♥♥♥

Angela said...

Both are cute! I am always making cards that, when finished, I wish I had done something differently. Ever have one where you think it is going to be great and it's not? Or how about when you are not liking it and when it's done, it's cute? You just never know!