Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ocean SPARKS

Well, it's a heat wave. With the humidex, the temperatures have been in the high 30s Celsius, which is about 100 F. I'm on day 4 of a massive headache, and I'm fairly certain if it lasts much longer there will be long-term consequences arising from the short tempers we're all experiencing. My desk is not a happy place to be during the day, but the wee hours aren't too bad. Yesterday, very early, I thought I'd make an ocean-inspired card for the current SPARKS challenge - inspired by Lindsey's card using the same fish!


Supplies: Paper Smooches stamps from Birthday Buddies, Geo-Graphic; scrap orange card stock; googly eyes; Palette Noir ink; Versamark; Distress inks in Peacock Feathers, Spiced Marmalade, and Salty Ocean; Stampendous embossing powders: clear detail, sapphire, and moonstone; Bic markers; Sakura Stardust gel pen

I got VERY embossing happy with this card. The Geo-Graphic dots were stamped in Versamark, and then coated with Sapphire EP. I tapped the paper until only about half of the EP stayed stuck, and then added Moonstone. This gave the circles a neat two-tone sheen (totally worth the mess!). The sentiment was embossed by inking each word in Versamark & then the Distress ink, and then coating with clear EP. The fish were stamped with Palette & then clear EP (if you do it quickly, no other ink needed there). 

I coloured the scales & tails, then cut the fish out (trimming off their party hats) and glued them down just by the bodies. I bent up the tails a bit for even more dimension:


In case you're new to my blog, you may not know that my dear friend Barb has LOADS of Paper Smooches (and other fun stuff) for sale on her blog - including this Birthday Buddies set, which I use ALL.THE.TIME. Go look :D

Now I'm off to try to convince the fam that going to the beach would be better than staying here and fighting with each other ;) Have a great day!!

 xoxo,
Jessi



12 comments:

Colleen Dietrich said...

Same heat wave here, Jessi. I am indoors all of the time since foot surgery, so am cool, but I'd probably be inside even if I had a good foot!

Your fishy card is cute!

Dawn said...

I hope you are keeping cool - the beach does sound good!

Your card is really cute. Love the fun coloured sentiment, those googly eyes and all the embossing.

Hugs, Dawn

Chris Dring said...

Shut the front door! Loving the massive amount of heat embossing on your card Jessi! And who could resist googly eyed fishies?! Love it!

jimlynn said...

Jessi, I'm in total love with this card!!!! Everything about it is sensational. Love it!
Try to stay cool!
Lynn

Annette Allen said...

so totally cute.. love the fishies and the embossing..

Lindsey said...

So I don't think it's fair that I like your card WAY better than mine. :P

Dana said...

So cute!! I love what you did with the tails, genius!! I hope your headache gets better!!

Donna said...

Fantastic card Jessi!
I love love love that stamp set, it's so freakin cute!

~Tammy~ said...

I wanted to play so bad! I loved this challenge...ugh for not having more free crafty time! I love this sweet card and it was perfect for the challenge.

Yes, I was dying yesterday at the Nationals Ballpark....high humidity in the 90's....I looked like a drawn rat, but I had a fun time!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a pretty card-- love the polka dots at the bottom! LOVE the three fishes too!! Esp. their googly eyes:) THANKS so much for joining in the fun and playing along with the Paper Smooches SPARKS TW Ocean challenge!!! I hope you will try our sketch challenge this week <3

Houses Built of Cards said...

So cute and fun! LOVE the shine, and the googly eyes! So glad you played along with us this week at Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Lisa Arana said...

adorable fishies.