Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Shopping our Stash #110 - Strangest/Weirdest Craft Purchase


Today's a pretty exciting day for the team at Shopping our Stash - we are welcoming a new member! Please pop over & say hello to Chana, aka Redora Lee,  of CARD-D-OLOGY. (Love that blog name!)

This week's challenge is a fun one - 
we are asking you to perhaps put aside your pride, or at least 'fess up about the strangest or weirdest purchase you have made for the purposes of creating something!  You know how sometimes you are out shopping, and you spy something that you think will be perfect for a particular project, or to try this technique, or to CASE some other style?  Maybe you bought a ton of a particular embellishment, or a pack of something you thought was cute, but then later you are wondering why you did it- now is the time to use it for our new Challenge!

I have a confession of sorts to make - I had a really hard time choosing something to work with for this challenge! It is not that I don't make strange purchases (after all, sale items often call my name, come home with me, and then collect dust.) It's that they all seem like such REASONABLE things to have in my stash! I finally went with sprinkles. You know, cake sprinkles? I bought them because JJ Bolton made a really cool card a while back using sprinkles  to make patterned paper. 

That didn't work out for me ;) So, attempt #2:

Supplies: stamps from The Cat's Pajamas; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Bic Markers; papers from Bo Bunny; American Crafts yellow ZING glitter; Liquid Applique; yellow crepe paper; sprinkles


While the Liquid Applique was still wet, I added sprinkles. Instead of waiting for the LA to dry, I heated it right away. The sprinkles melted a little bit, but it looks pretty cool. Next time I would take out the white ones - they are there, but they blend right in & make it look like there's a patch missing. 

Come & play along with this challenge until next Monday, July 22nd - hop on by & leave the rest of my teamies some love!


And, don't forget to check out my pal Barb's sale page - still lots of awesome bits & bobs there! 

xoxo,
Jessi

20 comments:

~amy~ said...

How clever!!!! Looks like so much fun!

Andrea W said...

Yum! I'm a sucker for sprinkles but I never dreamed of using them on a card. Cool idea.

jimlynn said...

Oh, Jessi, I think the sprinkles look great! What a cute and clever idea. And you paired them with the perfect image too. Very cute card! Now, did you eat a handful of those sprinkles while you were at it!
Lynn

Dana said...

I LOVE the sprinkles!! I'm the same way with the sale items!! BUT i've turned over a new leaf (I swear!) not to buy anymore embellishments!

Donna said...

Love it....whoda thunk to use actual sprinkles on a card?? Now I know what to do with mine!!! (send them to you hahahaha)

Laura said...

SO CUTE! I love the colors, and seriously... sprinkles?? I never would have thought to try that!! Love this, Jessi!

Debbie said...

This is so cute!! I could see my son trying to eat this!!

Cheryl said...

Jessi this is adorable! How clever to use real sprinkles! Now, though, I'm curious to know how to used them to make patterned paper. Wonder if you sprinkled them on cs then misted them and let them sit, if they would stain the cs in a cool way??? May have to try that.

Michelle said...

This is really clever! It made me hungry. :)

Chris Dring said...

Love this Jessi! Your card looks so cool!

lauren bergold said...

this is not only awesome AND totally creative... there are also not that many crafty bargain purchases which can be used up via bowls of ice cream!!! so there's that, lol!!! :) :) :) (prima flowers? not even haagen daaz works on them!!!) :)

Colleen Dietrich said...

What a clever idea, Jessi, to use sprinkles mixed in the LA. It looks just like real (and yummy) frosting!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Well, however strange the supply, it turned out great! Besides, I've seen some amazing things done with paper crafted sprinkles, and this is right up there with the best of them! :)

Dawn said...

This is so fun :) Love the sprinkles, cute image and bold colours.

Hugs, Dawn

lostinpaper said...

LOL, cake sprinkles how wonderful Jessi!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Great experimenting and a wonderful result!

Jen W. said...

This is awesome! First of all, the sprinkles match the paper perfectly and second of all, you are the master of LA. Love that bunny and the sentiment.
And whoop whoop on being blog spotted by Cath!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

What a fun card! Love what you did with the LA!!!

stampingandstitching said...

Aw this is absolutely adorable! Love your design and fun background! The sprinkles look wonderful (and yummy) with the liquid applique!

maria f. said...

Loved JJ's card and yours is just as cute too! Great idea for a challenge too.