Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Shopping our Stash #74 - Out of the Jar!






So, first I want to start by saying this card is Barb's fault :) Her absolutely gorgeous card for Theresa's Virtual Birthday Party uses Frantage Embossing Powder like a dream, and I thought I CAN DO THAT! And, even better, here's this week's prompt for Shopping our Stash #74 - 

use anything that came in a jar- flower soft, glitter, perfect pearls, embossing powder, etc.,  OR a jar image - or make something using a Jar! (decorate a jar)

See, this is great! I have Frantage powders, and they're pretty much stash since except for embossing a swatch of each one, I really haven't used them since I got them. (Mostly because every time I try, I spill. Truth.)

So, with this, and the DYSU Vintage challenge fresh in my head, I set to work. Embossing an entire DOILY. Sure....you have little experience heating things from below, why wouldn't you begin by working with a delicate piece of paper? I scorched the paper I was using to catch the flyaway bits (there are heavier bits of enamel mixed in  with the glitter and EP), and then I wasn't sure if it was all melting. So I touched it. Definitely melting. Definitely burning my finger.

But look - I still think it was totally worth it!
Supplies: Wilton doily;
versamark & Stampendous Frantage EP (pink);
Hero Arts Lace;
papers from MME;
Bundled Sage distress ink;
sentiment from Annabelle Stamps;
butterfly stickers from Kaisercraft;
buttons & pearls from stash



The layout was born of necessity - the gingham & doily papers were only so big ;) Except for the largest green butterfly, each butterfly is only adhered by one wing with doubled foam tape to add to the sense of movement.  Those Kaisercraft stickers haven't been out since the last time I broke them out for an SOS project, the papers were scraps, and I finished the package of blue pearls. PLUS, besides melting my own skin, I had a successful outing with the Frantage powder! I didn't even spill any on the dog ;)
So, what do you have in a jar that's waiting patiently to be used? Or, maybe you have a jar kicking around just waiting to be altered? Get going! This challenge will be open until next Monday, October 29. Don't forget to see what the rest of the SOS team has been up to!


I'm also linking this up to DYSU #94 - Vintage - pearls, buttons, pastel colours, doilies, all of those say vintage to me :) The DYSU challenge ends this evening. 
xoxo,
Jessi

22 comments:

~Tammy~ said...

Oh this is vintage and gorgeous! I love those butterflies flying right off the page! Gorgeous!

paige said...

Sorry about your burnt fingers, but your card is amazing! I love the artistic layout of the butterflies and background elements!

Emily Keaton said...

Sigh, this is SO lovely, Jessi! Those colors are soft and and I love all the lacy details. So glad to hear that you managed to keep your EP from spilling on Abby!! *wink*

lauren bergold said...

oh ♥♥♥SWOON♥♥♥ this is sooooooooooooooo gorgeous and soooooo amazing! i have NO IDEA how you did that with the doily... heating it from UNDERNEATH??? but it worked BRILLIANTLY and looks unbelievably cool! seriously ♥WOW♥!!! plus: butterflies, doilies and gingham??!?! oh YEAH!!! :) :) :)

Dawn said...

Oh WOW! Stunning card!! The doily looks amazing, love the butterflies, love the layout and love the vintage feel. Just gorgeous!

Hugs, Dawn

Marie said...

Lovely card, Jessi. Sorry for the burned finger...should post a 'wet do not touch'sign! Love the butterflies on the beautiful doily.

jimlynn said...

Nothing worse than the smell of burnt fingers!!! LOL! So glad you stuck with all the pain to create this beautiful card! LOVE that doily and the butterflies. So lovely.
Lynn

Allison Rankin said...

You are a machine today with all this creating! Love this color palette (although I would never come near these...pastels scare me!)...great job!

Debbie said...

What a craftymama you are!! Who would have thought of embossing a doily! It is beautiful!!!!

Dana said...

Oh my gosh!! Oh my Gosh!! I love this!!! The embossed doily is gorgeous!! I love the pastel colors!! VERY gorgeous card!!

Unknown said...

This is my favorite card of yours yet Jess. Absofrickinlutely beautiful! Diet Pepsi (yes, you read that right) came out my nose when I read "Definitely melting. Definitely burning my finger." LMAO!!! So funny. But seriously, this card is gorgeous. The frantage in pink??? A must have now that you've shown it here...stunning!!!!

Unknown said...

oh! And the placement of the patel buttons, mingled with the butterflies...the doily, the lace trim...the marbly patterned paper edge...gah!!! Gorgeous!

Melissa Craig said...

Oooh pretty!

yyam said...

Ooooh....so pretty! I just love how it sparkles! :)

lostinpaper said...

Soooo pretty! Love those butterflies and I'm so glad to hear the dog wasn't harmed in the process!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Love this, Jessi!! Butterfly extravaganza!! Love how they are flying all over the card and love the colors and shiny details here!! Sorry I haven't been around lately.. I've had the flu and actually still recovering. A really bad one, coughing all the time and my voice was gone completely for several days. No fun!! Slowly getting better now, so hope to be around more again to admire your cards!!
Hugs, Wendy

Glimpses of My Heart said...

Jessi - You are too funny! The doily looks great! And you did an amazing job using up bits and pieces to make a very lovely card! BRAVO!
Blessings,
Michelle
ps....you've embossed the dog before.....????

Lindsey said...

Okay, I don't even know what Frantage powder is. How can this be, when I emboss EVERYTHING? I certainly like the effect you've achieved here. What a gorgeous creation!

walchowDesign said...

Aww... this is so pretty and yet giving a vintage look, Jessi! Sorry about your burned finger but your high tolerance is worth the effort!

Jen W. said...

Okay so you're completely insane to try and emboss a doily but it looks awesome! And I hope you remembered to stick your finger in some flour!

kingstonmama said...

Yes, totally worth it, burned fingers and all! :) ann

Nance said...

Beautiful butterflies. I love the pastel colors too. Again, another pretty card from you!