Thursday, October 11, 2012

Let's Get on Leafy Wheels :)

A couple of cards and 3 challenges for you tonight - I was hoping to get all 5 categories finished for Let's Get Trendy Now 2, but it's just not going to happen! I did get 2 more done, though, and stretched myself creatively, so I consider that a plus :)

First up I'll show you my VERY BRIGHT card using stencils - and also interpreting this week's cue card at CASology:

Supplies: Hero Arts ginkgo leaf; Stampendous sentiment;
Market Street Stamps burlap;
Distress inks: Mowed Lawn, Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed

An ancient stencil with baby-themed designs.
I'm pretty sure I've used this ginkgo leaf for a CASology card before, but it really lends itself to a more CAS design. I taped the stencil down onto a large piece of white cardstock, and sponged the Squeezed Lemonade distress ink over the stencil. Then I inked the burlap stamp with the same ink & pressed down, and then followed up with the ginkgo stamp. And, because my yellow was still wet, the green bled a bit & the detail of the stamp was smudged...and I got up & went to Zumba, cursing under my breath. 

Today when I came back prepared to toss it in the recycling, I realized I could salvage it by paper-piecing the main part of the leaf. Huzzah! I also noticed that overnight the burlap texture wasn't visible, so before adhering the paper-pieced leaf I restamped the burlap with the darker yellow. Of course, I didn't have the stencil on any longer, so it went over the edges, but at this point I was going with it. I held my breath & stamped the sentiment, and then trimmed the panel down to the size I wanted, inking the edges directly with the same green ink. 

So, note to self - give the ink lots of time to dry, mmmmkay?

Now, for my second card, I was also inspired to pull out a bicycle stamp for this week's DYSU challenge, WHEELS! 

And for Let's Get Trendy Now 2, I knew I wanted to use washi tape...but how?
Supplies: bike stamp from Recollections;
papers & clip art from Simple Stories "summer fresh;"
Memento Gray Flannel ink;
washi tape from K & Co and We R Memory Keepers
(Sort of a side note - the background on this card? That lovely handmade-looking paper? It's Poo Paper. I love that stuff!)
OK, so I wanted to do something a little bit different that just sticking the washi onto my card. I did use a little bit that way (the black layer just below the bike image), but what else? What about washi flags, sort of like ribbon tabs? Please forgive the horribly blurry photos, but I think they're clear enough to  get the gist of it:

Pick your washi tape!

Fold the end, and tear off, leaving a generous sticky bit.

Use a square punch to 'notch' the FOLDED end.

Use the bit of sticky to adhere it to the back
of your panel!
I felt like a genius - it seemed silly to use extra adhesive to get the flags to stay on there, you know? ANYway.

*crickets chirping, me patting myself on the back*

Let's Get Trendy Now 2's deadline is October 12, and CASology's is Sunday the 14th, and DYSU's is Tuesday the 16th. So that makes me early for 2/3, and for me, that's not bad ;)

xoxo,
Jessi


14 comments:

Jen W. said...

Well, that makes two of us who think you're a genius! :) Those washi flags rock! In fact, the whole card is awesome. Love the layout & colours.

As for the first card I actually like the burlap overlapping the scalloped edge and the bold colours are awesome! And nice save on the ginko leaf! Slow drying inks suck..

CarlaKH said...

Two great cards! I love the washi tape! I bought some the other day now just need to use it!

Annette Allen said...

wow these are amazing...i love how you used the washi tape...thanks for the fun tip...

WencheP said...

Fabulous card. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

kingstonmama said...

Well, you are a genius! :) I love your CAS ginko and I love your little washi banners. Fabulous! ann

Pauline said...

Two fab cards, I love the bike one, so fresh and vibrant, and a great little tutorial too!
Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week!

Lindsey said...

Poo paper. HA! New to me, and must check it out, just so I can say I have poo paper on my card.
Love the ginkgo leaf stamp, and the double background, and the great save. The bicycle card is so happy-looking! Love how you used the washi tape.

lostinpaper said...

Those washi flags ROCK Jessi! This is something I really must try, thanks so much for the inspiration and for some great eye candy too!

Rosemary said...

both card are fabulous... glad you were able to save your CASology card... i really like that burlap background stamp. thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

~amy~ said...

girl, you crack me up...I love reading your posts! Awesome use of that stencil {btw, I'm hugely impatient to wait for anything to dry!}....the yellow makes the green pop!

Your washi card...perfect amounts of washi on your poo paper {as in what kind of poo anyways? forget I asked...}...LOL...crackin' myself up...obviously on my first cup of coffee at 4 am on a Saturday morning....

Anywho's...behind on my google reader but I'm sooooooo glad that you played along with us!!!!!

Unknown said...

For the record, I always knew you were a genius so this crafty revelation doesn't surprise me. So there. As for the card, it's frickin' brilliant Jessi! I LOVE the flags and love that bicycle. Awesome design. A fave of mine for sure!

Ardyth said...

Gorgeous leafy card - love the bright yellow background - it makes the gingko leaf really pop! Thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week!

Unknown said...

love the sentiment - what a great way to start the day

kitten - DYSU team

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Fabulous cards and the great use of washi tape.Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week.
Hugs
Archana